Sunday, May 9, 2010

Two More Days of Riding

Two days worth of ride notes because I've been racing the sun the last couple of days and the sun has been winning. When I last posted, I was in Socorro, NM. That was Thursday night. Since then I've had a couple of more mad dashes south and east. I crashed Jeremy's and Casey's first night back home as husband and wife last night. But in fairness to me, that wasn't my intention. I was headed for College Station. When I got to Waco, I had a couple of messages from Jeremy telling me to save the hotel cost and come stay with them. It was a little out of the way, but the price was right and it included dinner and my fair share of a six pack of Shiner Bock.

I got some good pictures of my ride across New Mexico and West Texas on Friday. As usual, they are still on the camera, but soon, really, I promise I'll get them uploaded for you. Today didn't include many pictures, but was I did make it to Foley, Alabama and am spending the night at my parents house. Again, you can't beat the hotel rate. Just when I thought it was impossible to stay cheaper than Motel 6, I got myself two free nights.

I wasn't able to connect with the director at the DeBakey Fisher House, so I didn't get to visit with them today. Also, the Keesler VA Fisher House is on the base and I need to have a reflective vest to take the motorcycle on base. I had to miss them too, but all that was planned was a drive by and a quick picture since the director there was also out of town. I plan to stop and get a reflective vest on my way to Augusta, Georgia tomorrow so I can enter the bases at Fort Gordon and Fort Bragg and go visit those Fisher Houses. They are on tap for Monday.

So far the overall trip has been a little more than 4800 miles over 7 days of riding. That's almost 700 miles a day on average and trust me when I tell you, my butt feels it. Tomorrow should be a relatively easy day of 400 or so miles. I hope to visit the Jefferson Davis State Memorial in Georgia where Jefferson Davis was captured by Union troops at the end of the Civil War. It's open until 5PM and it's about 5 hours from here. So, if I can get on the road by 10AM, I should have a chance of getting there in time. I lose an hour on the way, so that makes it a little harder than it has to be.

Pictures and the full story of the ride coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment