Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day and Beyond

I made it to Foley Saturday night and although I didn't get to completely surprise mom for Mothers Day, I did get to spend the night and next morning with her. It was just like old times. I show up, mess up a bed, have her cook breakfast for me, and ride out. I'm sure she was thrilled to have me. :)

The ride from Texas to Alabama was mostly uneventful. Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike riding on interstates. We'll the ride from Texas to Alabama was I-10 for 400-plus miles. I'll be hard pressed to come up with anything exciting to say about that day of riding.

Sunday I rode from Foley to Dublin, Georgia. I had an easy day of only about 415 miles. After another 200 miles of I-10, I got to do some back roads and enjoy the ride a little. Today started with back roads, to I-20 where I hooked up with a former Marine in a BMW SUV driving 95mph across South Carolina. Needless to say, I made good time.

Currently I'm sitting in Fayetteville, North Carolina having ridden 80 miles of I-95 (one of my least favorite interstates in the country). But, the highlight of the day was my visit to the Fisher House at Fort Bragg. The volunteer staff there took good care of me and went way above and beyond the call of duty to ensure I was able to get on the base. Julie Miller drove to the local mall to pick me up and then gave me the grand tour. In addition, I got another terrific Fisher House story to add to the blog.

Here's the plan. I'm going to write up a blog entry about my Fisher House visits and those pictures. I'll do another blog entry for the ride out to Vegas (yes, I'll include the pictures). Then I'll wrap this ride up with an entry for the return ride.

Many of you made contributions to the Fisher House Foundation and I thank you all for your support. We manage to surpass the goal and I really appreciate it. The donation page is still open so hopefully, we'll add a few more bucks to the cause.

One more day and then this adventure will be done. I should get home tomorrow evening. I will visit one more Fisher House on the way in Richmond tomorrow. There are a few I missed because of getting access to the bases, but I hope to be able to include some brief info about them too in the blog entry.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment