Sunday, May 3, 2015

48 for 22 Ride

This past year one of my brothers from the Desert Knights of America Motorcycle Club (DKMC), Danny Farrar, (or Mayhem as we call him) formed a non-profit organization to fight the suicide rate among our veterans called 22 Needs a Face.  Every day 22 service members succumb to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and seek to end the pain by taking their own lives.  This must change, and in order to do this 22 Needs A Face launched a three-pronged attack to combat this silent enemy.

First, through events that cater to our veteran community we seek to restore the camaraderie that many are missing from their time in the service.

Secondly, we seek to educate the masses that this is in fact a mental disease that requires help and treatment.

Lastly, we will work to enact legislation that will keep those who suffer from PTSD from being denied opportunities for careers or promotion.

Through this three-pronged attack our goal is to ultimately help our soldiers in need and defeat PTSD.

This year I plan to do what I can to help 22 Needs a Face fight that battle.  Over a 15-day period I will be motorcycling across the country, visiting 48 states. The purpose of my trip is to raise funds to support 22 Needs A Face and raise awareness about PTSD and the toll it is taking on our service members.  

I'll be leaving Haymarket, Virginia on September 19, 2015 and riding about 9000 miles over the next 15 days passing through and/or touching all lower 48 states in the great USA.  I'll finish the ride at the Rally in the Valley in Cumberland, Maryland on October 3rd.

Rally in the Valley is a two day outdoor event with music, car and motorcycle shows, and camping located at Allegany County Fairgrounds (11400 Moss Avenue Cumberland, MD 21502) on Saturday, October 3 and Sunday, October 4.   Musical acts for the rally include:
  • Saliva
  • Drowning Pool
  • Jason Michael Carroll
  • Shane Gamble
  • Southern Charm
  • Bad Seed Rising
  • Let There be Rock School – Frederick
100% of the proceeds from Rally in the Valley are going to three different non-profits fighting for those who fought for us; Active Heroes, Project 22, and 22 Needs a Face!  Project 22 is a documentary film that follows two Combat Veterans on a motorcycle mission to raise awareness and to search for hope.  I was fortunate enough to attend the first public viewing of the film in Frederick, Maryland on May 2nd and meet the directors of the film, Dan and Doc.  It was an awesome experience.  I can't wait to share my ride experiences with Mayhem, Doc, and Dan when I see them again at the rally.


Below are details about the 48 for 22 Ride.

This is the scheduled ride across the U.S.
The total trip plots out at 8,768 miles, plus another 126 miles from the rally site to home.  By the time I throw in a wrong turn or two and a couple of unscheduled detours, I'm guessing I'll have over 9,000 miles by the time I get back.

Day 1 Route
Day 1 of the ride starts out from home in Virginia and takes me through West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina with an overnight stop in Commerce, Georgia.  Photo stops include the WV State Capitol in Charleston, Harley-Davidson of Pikeville in Pikesville, KY, the historic Netherland Inn in Kingston, TN, Pack's Tavern in Asheville, NC, and the Shoeless Joe Jackson Statue in the historic west end of Greenville, SC before a stop for the night at the Motel 6 in Commerce, GA.

Day 2 Route
Day 2 includes stops at the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta, the Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery, a dip further south to catch the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL, and an overnight stop with my mom and dad in Foley, AL right after quick visits to the Flora-Bama Lounge and The Hangout (two stops I can't pass up if I'm within about 100 miles).  Plus, the need to catch the corner of Florida is a good excuse to spend a few hours with the folks.

Day 3 Route
Day 3 takes me from Foley to the USS Alabama Battleship park for a sunrise picture.  From there it's on to Jackson for a visit at the Mississippi State Capitol.  The rest of the day includes a stop for lunch at The Dock in Lake Providence, LA (that's after a quick stop in US-65 to get a picture of the bat painted on the water tower in Transylvania, LA) the Arkansas State Capitol in Little Rock, and overnight at the Motel 6 in Bentonville, AR.

Day 4 Route
Day 4 includes a photo-op at Hideout Harley-Davidson in Joplin, MO, breakfast at the Cafe on the Route in Baxter Springs, KS, a visit with the in-laws in Bristow, OK, a photo stop at the Oklahoma State Capitol in Oklahoma City and dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, TX where I won't be taking on the 72-oz Steak Challenge, but I will be eating dinner before calling it a night at the Motel 6 up the road.

Day 5 Route
Day 5 is the longest day in the plan at 770 miles, but since I gain a couple of hours due to changing time zones, it seems doable.  I'm going from Amarillo to Flagstaff, AZ with stops at the Cadillac Ranch a few miles west of Amarillo, the Route 66 sign in Tucumcari, New Mexico, lunch at Silva's Saloon in Bernalillo, NM, Four Corners Harley-Davidson in Farmington, NM, Four Corners Monument where Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona come together (this is all I get to see of Utah and Colorado on the ride), and overnight at the Motel 6 in Flagstaff.

Day 6 Route
Day 6 includes an indulgence on my part to see the Grand Canyon.  I've never seen it from the ground and decided this might be a good opportunity to catch the sunrise there.  After the Grand Canyon it's on to Las Vegas for a stop at the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign as well as Las Vegas Harley-Davidson.  Then on to Zabriskie Point in Death Valley, CA to an overnight stop at the Motel 6 in Beatty, NV.

Day 7 Route
Day 7 takes me across Nevada from south to north.  I'll look for photo-ops at the Nevada-Oregon state line in McDermitt, NV as well as along US-95 through southeast Oregon as I make my way to my overnight stop at the Motel 6 near the airport in Boise, Idaho.

Day 8 Route
Day 8 will take me north to my western most point in the ride at the Blue Bridge over the Snake River in Clarkston, Washington.  This day includes stops at Hells Canyon Harley-Davidson in Lewiston, ID, then into Montana for a ride across that state with a stop at Evel Knievel's grave in Butte and on to my overnight stop at the Motel 6 in Bozeman, MT.

Day 9 Route
Day 9 takes me from Bozeman to Chadron, Nebraska, with stops at Beartooth Harley-Davidson in Billings, MT, the Little Bighorn Battlefield in southeastern Montana, Devils Tower in northeastern Wyoming, the geographic center of the US in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, Sturgis Harley-Davidson in Sturgis, SD (I'll be about two months too late, but I gotta stop in Sturgis) and then on to my overnight stop at the Motel 6 in Chadron.

Day 10 Route
Day 10 starts with a photo-op at Chadron State College to prove I made it to Nebraska, then on to Pierre, South Dakota at the State Capitol, the Payne Stewart Memorial Rock in Mina, SD, lunch at Maverick's in Aberdeen, SD (I have to stop at a place called Maverick's) then on to my overnight stop at the Motel 6 in Fargo, North Dakota.

Day 11 Route
Day 11 includes stops at the FargoDome at North Dakota State University, the Minnesota State Capitol in Saint Paul, the movie location for Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa (yes, it's the site of the farm house and baseball field surrounded by cornfields) then to Madison, Wisconsin for a picture of the State Capitol and my next Motel 6.

Day 12 Route
Day 12 takes me from Madison to Chicago where I hope I can avoid major traffic delays and cruise over to Soldier Field and Alder Planetarium for a great picture of the Chicago skyline.  From Chicago, I make my way to Geneva, Ohio, with stops at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana, Hamilton's Harley-Davidson in Sturgis, Michigan and the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH.  I end the night at the Motel 6 in Geneva.

Day 13 Route
Day 13 has me leaving Ohio and passing through the far northwest corner of Pennsylvania on my way to stops at the Anchor Bar (home of the original Buffalo wings) in Buffalo, New York, then across the NY Thruway to the State Capitol in Albany, NY.  From Albany, I visit the Bennington Battle Monument in Bennington, Vermont, on to the New Hampshire State House in Concord, NH and finish the night at the Motel 6 in Portsmouth, NH.

Day 14 Route

Day 14 has me trying to catch a sunrise in Maine at the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge over the Piscataqua River at the New Hampshire-Maine state line.  Then to a stop in downtown Boston for a picture of the Massachusetts State House and other historic sites in Boston.  From Boston, it's on to Providence, Rhode Island for a picture of the RI State House.  The Connecticut State Capitol in Hartford is the next stop.  From Hartford, I attempt to bypass New York City and make my way to Liberty Park in Jersey City, New Jersey for a picture of the Statue of Liberty.  Philadelphia is my next stop for an evening at the Liberty Bell and Freedom Hall before calling it a night at the Motel 6 in Brooklawn, NJ.

Day 15 Route ending at Rally in the Valley

Day 15, the last day of the trip, has me traveling to stops at the Delaware State Capitol in Dover, DE, then to the Maryland State House in Annapolis, MD, the United States Capitol in Washington, DC, the United States Marine Corp Memorial in Arlington, Virginia, and then on to the Allegheny County fairgrounds in Cumberland to party with the masses at Rally in the Valley.

I encourage all my friends and family in the Virginia-Maryland-Pennsylvania-West Virginia area to plan on attending.  Even if you're not a biker, come on out and share an amazing couple of days with us.  If all goes as plan, I'll arrive sometime mid-afternoon on October 3rd ready for some partying and at least one or two cold beverages.

I hope to see you there!!!

Stay tuned to the blog and Facebook for updates about the ride and opportunities to sponsor the ride as well as make donations to 22 Needs a Face as the time approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment