Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 1 - The Short Version

I'm going to try to do a quick post each day that summarizes that day's ride, then pull all of that together for a more complete story once I get the ride completed. Actually, sometimes a few days between the ride and the writing brings a little perspective. Plus, I will insert some pictures for the full story...not so much on these daily blogs since I'm too lazy to hook up the camera.

Day 1 ended in Seymour, Indiana. Paul tells me this is the hometown of John Mellencamp, but they don't seem to brag about it on the "Welcome" signs. I didn't ask anyone because I don't want to be "that guy". So, take Paul's word for it and join me in celebrating a night spent in John Mellencamp's hometown!!!

I managed to squeeze in 630 miles today. Not bad for the bulk of it being on 2 lane roads. I pulled into my Motel 6 in Seymour at about 8:30PM, so that represented 14.5 hours of riding today (counting stops). I pulled out of the 7-11 near my house this morning at 5:58AM. By 6:10AM I had managed to lose my brand new Harley-Davidson hat. I had it strapped onto my backpack (something I've done many times before) and within about 5 minutes of the 75 mph riding on I-66...it was GONE!. For my friends in Northern Virginia. If you see a light blue Harley-Davidson hat on I-66 between Haymarket and The Plains, GRAB IT. It's freakin' brand new.

The ride was mostly uneventful. A couple of honorable mentions in the form of jackass moves by drivers, but I'll save those for the full story. I did manage to find a nice little bar here in Seymour within walking distance of the Motel 6. It was karaoke night, and I must say, they had some pretty good singers. At least one guy murdered Stairway to Heaven, but that's ok; everyone else in the bar turned it into a sing-a-long and drown him out.

Tomorrow promises rain, thunderstorms and tornadoes across the central US. Where am I riding tomorrow...that's right...ACROSS THE CENTRAL US. Should be fun. Maybe I'll make the evening news or, better yet, The Weather Channel...sweet.

Here's hoping I am pinging you in cyber space from Wichita, Kansas tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment